Sunday, February 3, 2013

I'm Calling You Out Terry!

Modern day pop-ups. Ugh! Ain't no Nebraskan
got time for that! Then again it is Omaha.
Don't worry Representative Lee Terry it's nothing too big, but it is an issue.

Represenative Lee Terry's website is a darn good looking site, granted the popup is really not what I'm looking for and personally I don't think it's effective. But if one were to look on his press page, like I have linked in the side, you'll notice that it shows the most recent press update from Terry is in 2011.

Immediately, I thought this was my own fault for linking to some old news. So here's what I did, I went to his base URL and clicked on "Newsroom" right on the menu bar. Traditionally I thought this should take me to a base page for all of his newsroom stuff; nope I just got a menu.

Ok, so I clicked on "Press Releases" under the menu item "Newsroom" on the front page. And lo and behold...2011 news. What the heck?

Silly me I wasn't smart enough to click another dropdown box and select 2012 or 2013! Wait, so it's my fault that I can't find your most recent news?

Granted, I understand that some people don't know how to "internet" correctly, but Mr. Terry you have little excuse. I'm nearly certain you have someone barley older than me managing your website and doing a darn fine good job at it.

My request is this. Please fix the site so it automatically takes me to the most recent news on your press page. Just like Obama's, Johanns', Fischer's, Fortenberry's, Smith's, Heineman's, the Legislature's, and Harms' sites all do.

You may say that it's the users fault for not being smart enough to find it. I would then say that you are limiting transparency by not changing the function of your site.

Look, to adequately ensure that government is functioning properly we need to be able to find information must be as quick as possible for the lay person, your press page does not do this. Your press page limits your own outflow of information to the press destroying your ability to connect with constituents. It harms your publicity.

I have worked in the IT user support sector and I love it when a good website comes along that is slick and easy for a user to navigate. Yours looks slick, but getting to that one page isn't that easy.

Bottom line, please fix your press release page so it gives me the most recent news first.

With humor and kind regards.

No comments:

Post a Comment